Prince Philip passes Outward Bound Trust patronage to Prince Andrew after interviewing him for the job
The Duke of Edinburgh has handed over his patronage of the Outward Bound Trust to his son, the Duke of York, it has been announced. Prince Philip has given more than 65 years of service and personal commitment to the educational charity, known for its character-building outdoor adventures. The 97-year-old duke had remained its patron despite stepping down from public service in 2017, but has now passed the responsibility on to his third child, Prince Andrew. The Duke of York disclosed he had been interviewed by his father when a position opened up on the board of trustees years ago, with a view to him one day taking over the patronage. Princess Beatrice, his daughter, has now also been elected to the board as a trustee.
The Duke of York, who has been chairman of the board of trustees since 1999, said: “It is an enormous privilege to take up this appointment of patron from my father, who has been a stalwart supporter of the Trust and its work since it was founded in 1941. “I was interviewed by my father for a position on the board of Trustees before I was appointed and I knew from the outset his intent. “I have thoroughly enjoyed the challenges and rewards of guiding the Trust these past few years and with the wise counsel and guidance from my father”. The patronage is one of just a small handful handed over by the Duke to his family since his retirement. In 2016, the Duchess of Cornwall took over the role at Friends of the Royal Academy in 2016, and in 2018, the Prince of Wales became patron of the Royal College of Art.
The Duke of Edinburgh still has 773 active affiliations.
He became patron of the Outward Bound Trust in 1953, which was set up by his mentor and headmaster, education-alist Dr Kurt Hahn in 1941. Both men were also instrumental in the creation of the Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme. The Duke’s active involvement is seen as pivotal in taking Outward Bound’s mission to more than 30 countries worldwide, helping more than a million young people to participate in outdoor learning programmes designed to develop character, self-belief and resilience. Nick Barrett, chief executive of The Outward Bound Trust, said: “Both The Outward Bound Trust and The Duke of Edinburgh Award programme have helped instil purpose, resilience, a sense of adventure and fun in millions of young people in the UK and many countries overseas. “The Duke of Edinburgh has always stayed remarkably close to our charity. “His Royal Highness has advised and challenged the board, but also engaged brilliantly and directly when meeting with the young people who have benefited from our programmes. “The Duke of Edinburgh’s involvement has gone far beyond any mere call of duty. We are immensely thankful but also stronger for all his intelligent and thoughtful direction and interventions”
Prince Andrew will be succeeded as chairman by Charles Phillips, the charity said.
How Prince Philip reacted to crash – before ending a lifelong passion
It was a surreal moment by royal standards, made even odder by the events that followed. Strolling into the office of the Queen’s private secretary, Edward Young, Prince Philip appeared uncharacteristically unsettled. “Have you got a plaster?” asked the 97-year-old Duke. “I’ve cut my hand”. Swiftly dispatching the former naval officer with a Band Aid, it was not until later that Young apparently discovered the cause of HRH’s injury. Until that point, the Iron Duke had not deemed it pertinent to mention that he had just been pulled out of his overturned Land Rover and was lucky to be alive. Almost a month on from those extraordinary events of February 17, a revealing picture emerges of the House of Windsor’s resident ‘Duke of Hazard’, who yesterday learned he will not face prosecution over the crash near the Sandringham estate. It came after the great-grandfather voluntarily gave up his driving licence following a collision between his Freelander and a Kia on the A149 at . The Telegraph has since learned that despite narrowly escaping serious injury, the Duke genuinely had no idea who was in the other car, or whether anyone had been hurt until the press later reported that passenger Emma Fairweather had broken her wrist. As he later explained in his apologetic letter to the 46-year-old from Norfolk, admitting that he had been blinded by the sunlight: “As a crowd was beginning to gather, I was advised to return to Sandringham House by a local police officer.” Yet it appears it was some time before palace aides or the press office became aware of the true extent of the crash, which was only briefed out after members of the public sent images to the media. The official statement simply read: “The Duke of Edinburgh was involved in a road traffic accident with another vehicle this afternoon. The Duke was not injured. The accident took place close to the Sandringham Estate. Local police attended the scene.” As one source put it: “They played it down because the Duke played it down.” According to veteran royal reporter Phil Dampier, author of Prince Philip: A Lifetime of Wit and Wisdom: “Had the crash had occurred on a lonely country road and no footage emerged, we’d probably never have found out about it.” Not that Philip wasn’t contrite. On the contrary, as well as being “genuinely shaken up” by the crash – he was also “furious with himself”, according to insiders. Determined not to lose his cherished independence – he took to the wheel the very next day – without wearing a seatbelt – in a bid to prove that he was still up to it – despite his hip replacement, spectacles and hearing aid. Land Rover keep “spare” royal cars in case of accidents and break-downs, which is why he ended up back behind the wheel so quickly. “It wasn’t defiance,” said one onlooker. “It was more an act of determination.” So cross was Philip with himself that it is understood his concerned children and grandchildren were warned not to make a fuss, which perhaps explains why Princess Anne said she had “no idea” how her father was when she was asked at a royal engagement two days later. Nor were they to even entertain the idea of the nonagenarian giving up his licence “for fear it might make him dig in his heels even more”, according to a source. The Queen – who after 71 years of marriage has grown well used to her husband’s stubborn streak – also knew better than to press the issue. The royal author Sarah Bradford once gave an insight into who has really been in the driving seat throughout their marriage when she described an occasion when Philip was driving the Queen through Cowdray Park in West Sussex for a polo match with his uncle Lord in the back. Bradford said: “The Queen complained about him driving too fast and and he turned to her and said: ‘If you complain once more I will put you out of the car.’ “The Queen said nothing and when the journey came to an end Mountbatten said: ‘You’re the Queen, why did you let him talk to you like that? “She replied : ‘Oh you heard what he said and he would have done it!’” In the end, the Duke’s reluctant mind was made up following advice from the police suggesting that surrendering his licence was the best way to avoid prosecution. Until the crash happened, it’s fair to say that HM’s “strength and stay” had had a rather cavalier attitude to motoring. On the eve of his wedding to the beautiful young Princess Elizabeth in 1947 he was stopped for speeding on Constitution Hill just beside Buckingham Palace. “Sorry, but I’ve got an appointment with the Archbishop of Canterbury” he told the incredulous policeman, who let him off with a warning. During the two years they lived in Malta, he would roar around the narrow lanes of the Mediterranean Island in a sporty MG with the top down. Such was his love of driving that he insisted on driving US President Barack Obama and his wife Michelle from their helicopter to Windsor Castle when they came to visit in 2016. The Obamas secret service minders were said to be “terrified” when a then 94-year-old Philip took the wheel but Obama said later : “I have to say I have never been driven by a Duke of Edinburgh before, but I can report it was very smooth.” The Duke’s crash last month was also not his first. He left sales director Pat Daynes with whiplash after his Range Rover went into the back of a Mercedes at a zebra crossing in Brandon, Suffolk, in January 1996. But he has also been a knight in shining armour at the road-side. In the early 1970s he was on holiday at a remote cottage near the Inverpolly Nature Reserve 80 miles from Inverness in Scotland. He was driving on a lonely road with local naturalist Rob Tweddle when they came across a Morris Minor stuck in a ditch. Two astonished female teachers looked on as Philip and Mr Tweddle lifted the car back onto the road. Mr Tweddle recalled in a 2011 article: “Philip told them ‘Now don’t do that again’ before we drove off, leaving them open-mouthed.” Although he may have come to the end of the road as a motorist, sources insist Philip will continue to ride carriages and spent his summers waist-high in freezing water fishing for salmon in the River Dee. Dampier added: “I honestly think that the hip operation -which enabled him to attend both Harry and Meghan’s wedding and that of Princess Eugenie to Jack Brooksbank last year – might mean he lives to 100. When he went home from hospital I know he was walking up and down stairs and doing exercises to regain his fitness. He has always been a fitness fanatic, doing exercise daily devised by the Canadian Air Force. His figure is the same as it’s always been – meaning he has some trousers fifty years old! He might have given up driving – but the Duke of Hazard will never give up doing things his way.”
Duke of Edinburgh, Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Cambridges arrive at Queen’s annual Christmas lunch
The Duke of Edinburgh was among the first members of the Royal family to arrive for the Queen’s annual Christmas lunch. Prince Philip was pictured sitting in the front passenger seat of a car arriving at the lunch, which is an annual fixture in the royal calendar with the Queen inviting large numbers of her family to her official London home before the festive break. The Duke of Sussex was seen behind the wheel of a with his wife, who is expecting their first child in the spring, sitting beside him. The Duchess of Cambridge was also seen arriving for the festive royal lunch sitting in the front seat of a car with the Duke behind the wheel. She waived to the crowds and sitting behind her could be seen Prince George with his nanny Maria Teresa Turrion Borrallo. Also spotted arriving at the palace gates was the Princess Royal and her husband Vice Admiral Sir Tim Laurence, Autumn Phillips, the wife of the Queen’s grandson Peter Phillips, Mike and Zara Tindall and the Countess of Wessex alongside her daughter Lady Louise Windsor. The Duke of York was another guest seen driving himself to the event and his daughter Princess Beatrice arrive separately.
The Duke of Edinburgh has been admitted to hospital for hip surgery, Buckingham Palace has announced. The 96-year-old arrived at King Edward VII Hospital in London this afternoon ahead of an operation tomorrow. It involves a problem with his hip that has been troubling him for around a month, the Telegraph understands. The Queen, who is at Windsor Castle for the traditional Easter Court, is being kept fully informed about the treatment. The Duke, who has retired from royal duties, has been absent from various events in recent days, most recently the Easter Mattins Serviceat St George’s Chapel, Windsor Castle on Sunday. He also missed the annual Maundy Service at Leicester Cathedral last Thursday because of his hip problem, despite being named as a guest in the order of service. Last week, he pulled out of an official engagement with the Queen and Duke of York because he was unwell, according to reports. However, he was spotted driving in Windsor Great Park on Wednesday. The Duke has been admitted to hospital with various ailments over the years including bladder infections, a blocked coronary artery and for abdominal surgery. He was last admitted last June, after becoming ill with an infection arising from a pre-existing condition. He spent two nights at the King Edward VII hospital as a precautionary measure on the advice of a doctor. Peter Kay, professor of orthopedics at Manchester University and a council member of the Royal College of Surgeons, said the most common reason older patients were admitted for planned hip surgery was for a hip replacement, usually due to osteoarthritis or a fracture. He said between one and two percent of hip replacements were performed on people in their 90s and that the mortality rate had halved in the last few years to just 0.25 per cent. “It is a relatively safe procedure,” he told The Telegraph. “You have to make sure the patient is fit and well but generally speaking, you will be in hospital around five days and spend six to eight weeks using crutches before walking independently and carrying on with normal life.” The Queen Mother underwent a hip replacement on her right hip at the same hospital in 1995, at the age of 95, and another, on her left hip, aged 97, in 1998. Other planned hip procedures include a partial hip replacement or treatment for other illnesses such as cancer or an infection. The Duke retired from royal duties last August. Buckingham Palace stressed that the decision was not health-related and that he had the full support of the Queen.